Chances are you’re going to spend at least one day hungover in Chiang Mai. Here’s what you can do to stop the day from being a total loss.
Step 1: Breakfast, at whatever godawful hour you wake up.
Depending on which part of town you’re in, hit these spots for sustenance:
- U.N. Irish Pub
- Archer’s. On Sundays they do a proper roast if that’s what you fancy.
- Good Morning Chiang Mai
- Bake & Bite
- Amazing Sandwich
- Butter is Better
- Bake & Bite
Step 2: Don’t go back to bed…instead, relax at:
- Huay Kaew waterfall: Take Huay Kaew (in the direction of Doi Suthep) all the way past the Chiang Mai Zoo and just as you begin to climb up, you’ll see a temple on the left, as well as a sign for Huay Kaew waterfall. The area is a great place for a solo picnic while you recover.
- Huay Tueng Tao Lake: An easy ride north west of the city, Huay Tueng Tao is a lovely lake with bamboo huts on stilts over the water. Plenty of food and drink to be had in a completely tranquil atmosphere.
- Lila Massage: Why here, out of all the massage spots in Chiang Mai? A few different reasons: First, the massage chain helps support women who are newly released inmates who face discrimination and lack of employment opportunities upon their release. The ladies go through a rigourous 180-hour massage training course, and meet the requirements of the Chiang Mai Public Health Department. Secondly, you get really nice service, private rooms, and a peaceful, well-done atmosphere for hardly more than you would pay at any of the ubiquitous massage spots around town. Last, and perfect for a hangover day, Lila has 5 locations around town, so you’re never too far away from one.
- Oasis Spa: If you’re really looking to splurge, go crazy at Oasis Spa.
Step 3: Once you’re moderately back to the living
Assuming the day isn’t over yet, nothing beats watching a movie in cool comfort at Major Cineplex in Airport Plaza. Particularly if you’re a visitor, you’ll enjoy the latest blockbusters plus popcorn and other treats for no more than 300 THB, or around $10 USD. Even if you’re just watching Die Hard 15, there’s nothing more soothing than a cozy chair and air conditioning when you’re sweating alcohol through your pores.
Step 4: Time to eat again
Once night falls you might be feeling exceptionally lazy and probably ready to feed your face again. Whether you’re in a guest house or apartment, end the night with the ultimate indulgence — order up whatever food takes your fancy from the comfort of your bed through Meals On Wheels 4U.
Step 5: Optional Hair o’ the dog
Of course, at any time during this list you could decide to go straight from the breakfast portion of your hangover day into the ever-popular hair o’ the dog. Good all day drinking spots are: